News and Media
May 10th, 2013
A 33-kilometre gap in the Lang-Hastings Trans Canada Trail was bridged on May 2 with the official grand opening celebrations and barbecue luncheon. The creation of this repurposed rail-trail brings our national project just a little bit closer to full connection by 2017. After years of planning and thanks to the work of nearly [...]
April 17th, 2013
How do you celebrate a Trail opening in February in Northern Ontario? How about a gorgeous day of cross-country skiing punctuated with a ribbon cutting, bonfires, hot chocolate and prizes? The Grand Opening of the Atikokan-Quetico segment of the Trans Canada Trail held at the Little Falls Community Centre in Atikokan, Ont., on Feb. [...]
October 29th, 2012
Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston were present as the Trans Canada Trail unveiled a plaque for the designation of a section of the Trans Canada Trail as The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Trail. The event took place on Friday October 26 on the Capital [...]
Parks Canada seeks public input on the development of Rouge Park, Canada’s first National Urban Park
June 27th, 2012
You’ve probably heard of Toronto’s Rouge Park. It’s big. Real big! Currently spanning 47 square kilometres in the eastern sector of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), it is one of North America’s largest urban parks. So big in fact, it is well on its way to becoming Canada’s first National Urban Park. Within the boundaries [...]
June 19th, 2012
His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, cycled 12 km on the Niagara River Recreational Trail, part of the Trans Canada Trail on Saturday, June 16th. Joining him on the scenic ride from the Laura Secord Homestead to Fort George was our own Valerie Pringle, Co-Chair of the Trans Canada Trail [...]
Path of the Paddle
Trans Canada Trail Ontario hosts Community Information Sessions to showcase the "Path of the Paddle" project: a Tourism Destination Product in northwestern Ontario (June 29, 2012)
- Press release (pdf)
Go the Greenway
Trans Canada Trail launches greenways campaign (June 21, 2012)
- Website: Greenway.TCTrail.ca
- Newsletter dispatch (pdf)
Trans Canada Trail and Environment Canada-Biosphere launch BioKit (Oct. 13, 2011)
- BioKit (pdf)
Tribute to Dr. Camu
The Trans Canada Trail honours founder Dr. Pierre Camu (June 2, 2010)
- Redirect to CNW Matthews
In the news
- The Globe and Mail's National Philanthropy Day special (November 15, 2012) featured the Trans Canada Trail on pages 2 and 5. (pdf)
- MacLean’s (via the Canadian Press) mentions the Trans Canada Trail as a priority in its September 24, 2012 article, MPs say Ottawa needs to-do list for Canada’s 150th birthday.
- Canadian Geographic (July/August 2012) features the Path of the Paddle, a 900-km water route on the Trans Canada Trail, in Path of the Paddle: A wild new canoe link on the Trans Canada Trail (pdf), by Hap Wilson, or redirect to Canadian Geographic website.
- The Globe and Mail special information feature (June 29, 2012): Countdown to 2017 (pdf)
- Via Rail's Destinations magazine features the Trans Canada Trail (June 2012): Once There Were Rails (pdf)
- YorkU Magazine's Summer 2012 edition features Pierre Lassonde, a Trans Canada Trail Foundation board member, in Heart of Gold (pdf)
- Journal de Montréal (May 5 2012): Le sentier Transcanadien, un parcours de découvertes (pdf, French only)
- Ottawa Life Magazine (May-June 2012): The Natural: Laureen Harper talks family, fitness and Canadian Pride (pdf)
- National Geographic: Journeys of a Lifetime (pdf)
- Rails to Trails (Winter 2012): Canadian Spirit: The Trans Canada Trail (pdf)
- The Globe and Mail special information feature (July 1, 2011): Your Trail. Your Journey. (pdf)
- Parents Canada (June/July 2011) presents Happy Trails To You (pdf), a guide to exploring the Trans Canada Trail with children.
- Julie Brouard, communications director, talks about the Trail's 20th anniversary and the plan for the next five years on Les samedis du monde on Radio-Canada (July 7, 2012): Redirects to Radio-Canada (French only)
- Deborah Apps, president and CEO of the Trail, and Barb Trainor of Island Trails talk about PEI's trails and their goals on the island (May 24, 2012): Redirects to CBC Radio
Click here to redirect to archives of Trail Talk
This circle of influential and visionary leaders will help us connect the Trail and all Canadians.
The Trail is within 30 minutes of over 80% of Canadians and runs through or near 1,000 communities.
Your donation will help to connect the Trail and bring us closer to realizing a national dream.