A big step forward for Kinghorn Rail Corridor on Superior’s north shore

February 21, 2011 | 9 comments

Trans Canada Trail Ontario (TCTO) recently announced that the development of a multi-use recreational trail on the abandoned rail line between Nipigon and Thunder Bay will be the subject of a feasibility study carried out by Owen Sound firm MacLeod Farley & Associates. The study will assess the proposed 111-km project which could link Thunder Bay, Shuniah, Dorion, Red Rock and Nipigon along a trail for use by hikers, cyclists and snowmobilers.

Pass Lake Trestle (aka Blende River Viaduct)

TCTO Board Director Cameron Clark said, “We are very pleased to be funding partners for this project, which will provide essential information to our partners, trail builders, and communities in the vicinity of the proposed trail. We are committed to connecting the Trans Canada Trail from coast to coast to coast by 2017 and we are very hopeful that the Kinghorn will become part of that vision.”

Twelve rail bridges are located along the route, including the magnificent Pass Lake Trestle, shown above.

Get all the details here.

Comments

• I am a resident of Shuniah Township and live within 100 feet of the proposed trail.
    I am not in favour of having the trail located in close proximity to the residences.
    The noise and particularly the trespassing would be a major concern.
    We moved to this township because of the quiet, peaceful neighbourhood and do not want this idyllic lifestyle jeopardized.

David Wainikka  |  March 30th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

• I am not in favor of this trail, Not sure if anyone one from the study has actually come out to see where you plan on running this trail.It is very close to my camp, this is a place of tranquility I feel safe here , with opening up this trail, will not only start vandalism, littering , theft, just this past winter snowmobiles decided to use my walking ramp , marking up all my treated wood, took chunks out of it etc. Can u guarantee 100% the snowmobiles will go to the start off point and not like the ones did this past winter deciding to unload their machines in my parking lot and use my camp as their “start” off ….What happens when hikers need a bathroom break ? Will u supply a porta potty aong this path…i don’t want “stangers” using mine!

Gina  |  April 15th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

• Hello Gina,
    Thank you for sharing your concerns; your comments have been forwarded to the project coordinator in Ontario.

Best,
    TCT National Office

Trans Canada Trail  |  April 15th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

• The devil lies in the details.

What kind of trail and where ?

Most of us along the beach are concerned about vandalism, noise, increased traffic, etc.

Problem is some cottagers are far away from the train bed, and others are very close.

SOME people have stated that you make changes to ‘the trail’ a minimum distance away from cottagers, along the highway, a fence to set a perimeter, this MAY reduce the opposition.

Other than, that most people would object to a trail along the train track.

Again the devil lies in the details.

CAESAR  |  April 16th, 2011 at 10:08 am

• I too am very much opposed to the proposed trail which runs through my cottage property- in addition to increased threat of vandalism, noise and litter, what about the significant decrease in property values? Trespassing, that’s a given. As well, I have small children and the dangers from increased traffic are significant and real .
    We bought this property for peace and quiet and not to have snowmobiles (which already illegally come onto our property in winter), 4-wheelers and strangers at all hours come within feet our our cottage and out buildings
    Ruining people’s property should not be part of the proposed plan

Robert  |  April 16th, 2011 at 10:54 am

• We summer at Ishkibbibble Beach and the trail would pass less than 60′ from our camp. We are really concerned about any traffic along the trail because of small grandchildren there most of the summer. In the winter we would be concerned about the accessibility of my camp to the trail when it is mostly unoccupied. We realize that the trail committee may have good intentions but they would not be able to police it to our satisfaction.

Lesley Allison  |  April 16th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

• While I am in favour of the concept of a trans canada trail I cannot see it being created in many places where it would be less than 100 feet away from Residences both Seasonal and Permanent ,I believe that if necessary we could contest it in the Courts

Put some pressure on Ontario Hydro and the Ontario Government to allow it on property that will not affect peace and quiet,land valuesand security of taxpaying(AND VOTING) property owners.

Don MacLeod  |  April 17th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

• I am also very oppossed to the trail passing within meters of my deck. also concerned about litter,vandalizum,noise and the use of our private roads.

Mike  |  April 20th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

• I am actually quite interested in this trail. It could actually extend the Voyageur Trail as well, closing one of the biggest gaps in its existence. This would help to encourage tourism to the North Shore in the form of backpackers and other trail users. It must be remembered as well that this would allow many more people to partake in the peace and serenity of this area, not just the few that can afford to live on it.

Adam Wood  |  August 30th, 2011 at 4:58 pm