Newest Ontario pavilion opening a salute to donors, Algoma region trail groups

September 4, 2008 | 7 comments

Join Valerie Pringle in Sault Ste. Marie on Saturday, September 13th at 2:00 pm for the Trans Canada Trail pavilion opening. We will be celebrating with the City of Sault Ste. Marie and the Voyageur Trail Association as the newest pavilion is unveiled, recognizing over 800 donors for their contribution to this national legacy project. Bring your GPS and join in the geocaching event or try your eye at “Sign, sign, everywhere a sign” to win great prizes like Voyageur Hiking Trail Guidebooks, VTA memberships and great Trans Canada Trail merchandise.

The Sault Ste. Marie Pavilion is located in Clergue Park on the St. Mary’s River waterfront, adjacent to the Art Gallery of Algoma and the Public Library main branch. The nearest street intersection is at the corner of Bay and East; free parking is available at the library or Civic Centre.

The Trans Canada Trail is the world’s longest recreational trail. When completed, it will wind 21,500 kilometres from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic Oceans, linking close to 1000 communities and 33 million Canadians.

For full details, consult our Media Release.

Comments

• Unfortunately I will not be able to be in Sault Ste. Marie until sat 20th Sept. Would it be possible to visit the pavillion on that day and if so can you advise me of the visiting hours?

kind regards

George Reeves 120714

George Reeves  |  September 3rd, 2008 at 4:28 am

• Mr. Reeves,

You can visit the Pavilion at any time, though the daylight hours are probably best as I’m not sure whether it is “lit”. Your inscription is on Name Panel 1, column 7. Panel numbers are shown on the lower left-hand corner.

Thanks for your support and enjoy the Soo,
    TCT Staff

Ringer  |  September 3rd, 2008 at 5:09 pm

• Is there an easy way to locate the one for Don and Pat Baker (50th Anniversary)?
    I see that last guy had a panel # and column #. I’m not going to be in the Sault next weekend but have asked someone to go and photograph it for me and I’d like to help them out in anyway possible.
    Thanks

Diane  |  September 7th, 2008 at 3:42 pm

• Hello Diane,

In this case, we will need some more information from you. Please send an e-mail including the postal code of the donor and/or the recipients to: cringade@tctrail.ca.

Thank you.

Ringer  |  September 8th, 2008 at 11:18 am

• I am so thrilled that the pavillion is opening today and the trail has finally reached the Sault and area. Congratulations to one and all whomever has, like myself, been hoping the goal of a complete pedestrian footpath from coast to coast will be reached. Our late sister and our late mother felt the wonders of the land, air and waer that surrounds the naturally blessed environment of St Mary’s, Lake Superior and the north shores of Lake Huron. I can’t be present but I truly hope my two siblings, born in the
    Sault, will be. CHEERS AND THANKS TO THE BRONFMAN PEOPLE for supporting this giant project, a spiritual monument.

Toni Sutherland  |  September 13th, 2008 at 9:05 am

• I was unable to attend, so my father went for me. He totally enjoyed the Geocache event. Had some great stories to pass on to me about his finds. What I don’t understand is why you did not take advantage of the website; Geocaching.com. You could have listed the event, and perhaps attracted more people. My father said you had a pretty good turn out. In the future you might want to consider this. It costs nothing to list an event, just a user profile, which is free. You can reach alot of people out there. That being said, do you have any plans to leave the caches you set out? Once again, log in with Geocaching.com and they can make this happen. I missed the opening, but I would truely enjoy searching the trail for caches in the future. I hope you will consider this.

Coyote 8a  |  September 14th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

• Hello Coyote,

We’re pleased to hear that your father enjoyed the Sault Ste. Marie event. Thanks so much for your suggestion re. Geocaching.com – we honestly didn’t think of it and are grateful for your drawing the site to our attention.

Not sure whether the SSM caches have been left out but we will find out and get back to you.

Trans Canada Trail Staff