A Gift in Your Will to Trans Canada Trail
Although The Great Trail of Canada is now connected, Trans Canada Trail is committed to further developing and expanding the Trail for years to come. With a gift in your will, you can support the legacy of a thriving Trail for future generations of Canadians.
Like the land it runs through, The Great Trail will need care and special attention in the years to come. Funding from charitable bequests, generously made by Canadians like you, is key to this preservation.
By remembering Trans Canada Trail in your will, you can:
- Invest in maintaining and repairing the Trail
- Enhance Trail accessibility for seniors and people with physical disabilities
- Develop greenways, and urban walking and cycling routes
- Strengthen partnerships with Indigenous groups
- Make the Trail safer for hikers and cyclists
How Can I Leave a Gift in My Will to Trans Canada Trail?
Making a charitable bequest to Trans Canada Trail in your Will is a simple process – and will help ensure that the legacy of Canada’s national Trail lives on for generations to come.
Of course, we encourage you to speak with your legal and financial advisors about your decision.
Ways to Remember the Trans Canada Trail
If you are thinking about including Trans Canada Trail in your estate planning, you have several options. The most common gift type is a charitable bequest or legacy gift left in your Will. You can structure this gift in the way that works best for you and your loved ones:
- Residual Gift: By leaving a residual gift to Trans Canada Trail, you can ensure that all the commitments of your estate are met first. This might include debts, taxes, and other bequests. Then, you can leave the remainder of your estate to Trans Canada Trail. If you aren’t sure about the size of your estate, this can be a good option
- Percentage Gift: You may also choose to designate a percentage of your estate to Trans Canada Trail.
- Specific Gift: If you’d prefer, you can leave a specific dollar amount to Trans Canada Trail in your Will. This option is best for those who are very confident about the final size of their estate.
I already have a Will. Can I still leave a gift to Trans Canada Trail?
Adding a gift to Trans Canada Trail into an existing Will is as easy as adding a small legal clause, known as a codicil.
“I give to Trans Canada Trail all (or stated percentage) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate”